Health & Safety
About the Course
No organization can afford losses such as injuries, illnesses and damage to property and other resources resulting from workplace accidents. It is imperative that efforts be made to identify the causes of these accidents and prevent them from happening.
This programme is designed to equip trainees with the essential practical skills and knowledge to work within one of the most important fields in industry. Trainees will learn to identify hazards and assess risks from workplace activities and apply precautions and safe work practices.
This program is intended for high school graduates and job seekers.
Benefits of Attending
Upon completion of this program, participants would be able to work anywhere where technical assistance is required to identify, evaluate, and control workplace hazards. They can get employment as: safety officer, inspector, and coordinator.
The program consists of:
- General Workshop Practice
- Principles of Health & Safety
- Supervising Safely
- English for Health & Safety Professionals
Learning and Teaching Strategies
The programme is delivered using a PBL philosophy through a mixture of classroom teaching, tutorials, online (web-based), laboratory work, workshops, and supervised projects. Assessment of courses is both formative and summative, with a focus on project work. The teaching and learning methods appropriate to this programme include a wide range of different strategies to meet the needs of students and depend on the class numbers and tasks involved. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Instructive lectures
- Facilitated Discussions
- Group discussions
- Demonstrations in the classroom, laboratory, or workshop
- Tutor-directed assignments
- Tasks performed in the classroom, laboratory, or workshop
- Online exercises, tutorials, and discussion
- Case Studies
- Visiting speakers
The teaching methods include the provision of learning experiences and opportunities that enhance the transfer of information to aid understanding, and then enable practice to take place through related tasks and the provision of opportunities to apply skills and knowledge.
- Grading system: Achievement based
- Completion requirements: more than 60% in every course of the program.
- Attendance: 20% of the total contact hours absence is allowed.
This program requires 120 hours (teaching-face to face) followed by 2 months of work placement.
- Secondary school graduate
- Beginner/elementary user of English