Top Up Programme
About the Programme
Top-up degrees are aimed at those who have successfully completed a Higher National Diploma (HND) or Diploma and want to study further and progress to the final year of our degree programs. Joining a top-up degree will allow you to build on your previous learning, gain credits and graduate with a full undergraduate degree.
What top-ups are offered?
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Human Resource Management
- ICT Networking
What are the benefits of a top-up degree?
- can be completed in two-year of part-time study.
- recognise and build on previous studies.
- open up postgraduate study options.
- improve employability prospects to senior positions.
- enhance existing subject knowledge, skills and understanding further.
What teaching and assessment strategy will be used?
The top-up is delivered through a mixture of classroom teaching, tutorials, guest speakers, online(web-based), laboratory work, workshops, problem-based learning, supervised brief and extended projects, field trips and workplace experience. Assessment of courses is both formative and summative, and typically includes a combination of continuous and controlled assessments. The emphasis is on projects, case studies, practical exams, lab experiments and tasks, assignments, presentations, and interviews.
How long will a top up degree take?
- A bridging program of 8 weeks to act as a refresher for academic skills, especially for those who are returning to study after a gap of many years. It covers essentials such as academic writing, maths and topics in the subject being studied. It ensures you are fully prepared for the desired top-up degree as well as evaluates your readiness for rigours of Polytechnic study.
- After successful completion of the bridging program, the time it takes to earn your top-up degree depends on the qualification you hold:
– ND or equivalent
* Associate Degree: 1 year and a half, or
* Bachelor’s Degree: 2 years and a half.
– HND or equivalent
* Associate Degree: 1 year, or
* Bachelor’s Degree: 2 years.
The academic year of top-up has three semesters consisting of approximately 14 weeks of each. You will have 8 to 12 hours of classes per week during weekdays between 4PM to 8PM. Each semester you will undertake 3 to 4 courses.
How much does it cost?
Tuition fees are normally based on the number of credits studied per semester. The number of credit hours required to complete the program will depend on the qualification you hold. Fees will be charged as follows:
- BD 50 – Admission fees (non-refundable)
- BD 400 – Bridging Program (a qualifying program for the top-up degree)
- BD 4800 – HND or equivalent (240 credits, BD 20 per credit)
- BD 5400 – ND or equivalent (270 credits, BD 20 per credit)
BD 5250 – HND or equivalent
BD 5850 – ND or equivalent
Programme Start Date
19 Feb 2023
- Hold a Diploma or Higher National Diploma (HND) in the area that you are looking to study.
- Have relevant work experience or professional certiﬁcations.
- Have good literacy and numeracy skills adequate to cope with your course of study and assessments.